Wednesday 28 September 2011

This is the facade of my Georgian dolls house. It's the first dollshouse that I had ever built, and although it is far from perfect, I am very proud of it! I hadn't done any wood work since I was at school, (many years ago now!) and the book shelf that I made at there fell to bits!! So this was an ambitious first attempt. The top part of the house is based on a design by Brian Nickolls, as I mentioned before. The basement is my own design and was built and added later, to provide a large kitchen area and library. Including hall and landings there are 12 rooms on 4 floors. It took about 2 years to complete, although it is still not entirely finished, there are a few little jobs left to do!

2 comments:

  1. Andy, it's absolutely amazing! How do you plan on finishing the exterior?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it's currently painted in Farrow and Ball's Savage Ground colour paint, which I like, I had though of painting a more authentic stone effect on it, but it's kind of settled on the colour it is, I do need to fix a balcony rail on each side above the basement. its an unusual arrangement, having a balcony rail at that level, certainly not something seen on many Palladian style houses! but I didn't have much option as I had to design a basement that would accomodate the front pedement and columns. The staircase leading up to the front door is based on one at the rear of Chiswick House in London.

    ReplyDelete